Thursday, May 3, 2012

In the Top 10 - Teams 6-10





These next 5 teams used the draft to satisfy their needs, and improve their teams.  Very few question marks for these ball clubs, as they really took advantage of their situation, and capitalized on opportunities...


#10 - Minnesota Vikings     DPA:2.76   NFL.com Avg:68.81   NFL.com Rank:19
     Highest Rated Picks: Rd 1 Pk 4 - Matt Kalil, OT, USC
                                     Rd 7 Pk 3 - Audie Cole, ILB, NC State

     Lowest Rated Picks: Rd 1 Pk 29 - Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame

     It is clear that I liked Minnesota's draft much more than many of the experts did.  I though the move to create a market for a pick which there was no natural market for (3rd overall) was brilliant.  I love that after doing that, they still managed to get the guy they had been targeting all along.  I also love the sheer volume of solid players they acquired.  With a team with as many holes as the Vikings have, they needed a great quantity of good quality and that is exactly what they got.  To also land a 4th round talent like Audie Cole all the way back in the seventh round, is gold.
    My only ding on this draft was the Harrison Smith selection.  Please don't misunderstand me... I like Harrison Smith.  I just don't like him at 29 overall, and I definitely don't like paying a price to move up to get him. On the Vikes, he projects as a starter, and that is good.  Unfortunately, I see him as a career average safety in the league.  I would have preferred to see them stay put and have taken him in the 2nd, or picked another quality player that could have helped the club and been of better value.


#9 - Detroit Lions     DPA:2.79   NFL.com Avg:67.99   NFL.com Rank:20
     Highest Rated Picks: Rd 4 Pk 30 - Ronnell Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
                                     Rd 7 Pk 16 - Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma

     Lowest Rated Picks: No one with less than a C grade.

     If you did not agree with my Vikings assessment, you probably wont agree with my review of the Lions either.  Again, another club whose draft I liked much more than the experts did.  The Lions started off the draft right.  They chose not to panic, and not to reach.  Instead of trying to manufacture position to get one of the top corners, they waited and added Riley Reiff, who was the second OT on the board, and filled a different position of need.  In fact, that represents how they managed the whole draft.  They showed patients, and made above average picks often through the weekend.  I especially love the selections of Ronnell and Taravis Lewis.  Regular readers know that I had Ronnell pegged as an early second round selection for the last three months. To get him in the fourth is a total steal.  As for Travis, he was slightly overrated whn I projected him to go in the early second.  I made some corrections, and downgraded him to a solid three, and he was tabbed all the way in the seventh.  I expect both of these guys to be making an impact for the Lions next season.  Adding Ryan Broyles in the second to take some pressure of Megatron was also a high value pick for this ball club on the rise.


#8 - New York Giants     DPA:2.81   NFL.com Avg:69.29   NFL.com Rank:17
     Highest Rated Picks: Rd 2 Pk 31 - Ruben Randle, WR, LSU
                                     Rd 3 Pk 31 - Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

     Lowest Rated Picks: Rd 4 Pk 32 - Adrien Robinson, TE, Cincinnati

     Recently I was discussing with my brother the names of the guys I considered to be the best personnel men in football, and I was having a very hard time finding anyone who I liked more than Jerry Reese.  I think his eye for talent is unreal.  With another draft under his belt, I again see why it is that the Giants are the defending champs.  Reese knows how to build a roster.  I like, but dont love the David Wilson pick in the first.  I think he will work out well for the G-Men as an alternative to Bradshaw.  I love the picks of Randle and Hosley in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Randle may not be the most polished route runner, but overall I think he can be an immediate replacement for Mario Manningham, and ultimately an improvement.  Hosley comes into camp, already better than Aaron Ross, and I think he will put pressure on Thomas and Webster for playing time in his rookie season.  I think by his third year, he will be lining up against other team's number ones.  Adding Brandon Mosley in the 4th is just another solid Jerry Reese personnel move.


#7 - Green Bay Packers     DPA:2.84   NFL.com Avg:72.31   NFL.com Rank:8
     Highest Rated Picks: Rd 2 Pk 19 - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
                                     Rd 7 Pk 34 - Andrew Datko, OT, Florida State

     Lowest Rated Picks: No one lower than a C grade.

     Is there a team in the league better at building through the draft than the Packers?  These guys just continue to land quality additions to their team, year after year.  2012 looks as if it will be no different.  They got started early adding Nick Perry from USC.  He should step in to immediately help provide pressure on opposing passes from someone not named Clay Matthews.  That will help the secondary which really needs it.  Then in the second round they add Jerel Worthy, a big DT who is a value pick in the middle second.  Terrell Manning, Andrew Datko, and BJ Coleman all provide value with where they were selected, and the focus of the Pack to improve their defense was appropriate.  Seven of the team's eight pick were spent on players who will line up on the defensive side of the ball.


#6 - Pittsburgh Steelers     DPA:2.88   NFL.com Avg:69.81   NFL.com Rank:15
     Highest Rated Picks: Rd 1 Pk 24 - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
                                     Rd 4 Pk 14 - Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington

     Lowest Rated Picks: No one lower than a C grade.

     Bottom line with the Steelers draft, I love it.  It was not a sexy draft, but it was a Steeler's draft.  What I mean by that is that they picked buys who fit the Steelers way.  They picked guys who fit the city.  David DeCastro is an old school guard.  He is a mauler, who loves to crush people up front.  Exactly the kind of guy that should play for the Steelers.  Adding him in the first, and then Mike Adams in the second, just ensured that along with Pouncy in the middle, this line will be solid for the next decade.  The addition of Alameda Ta'amu in the fourth is another pick I simply love.  He is the exact right person to bring in to succeed Casey Hampton at NT.  Hampton will be around for another year, two at the most.  Ta'amu can take some time and learn from him before taking the role over when he leaves.  Sean Spence, Chris Rainey, and David Paulson add some serious speed to this team on both sides of the ball.  I just love this draft.


No comments:

Post a Comment