Friday, April 9, 2010

Unforseen Impact

As I sit here looking at the draft ramifications of the McNabb to Washington trade, I am of course adjusting my mock to account for all of the recent moves teams have made.  I know I shouldn't have been surprised, but it was some of the less publicized moves that have really shaken up my most recent mock draft.

As some of you may not yet have heard, last week the Dallas Cowboys release long time tackle Flozell "the Hotel" Adams.  Why?  Well as was said by a popular ESPN personality, "Flozell Adams retired 3 years ago, he just never told anyone."  Clearly his play had diminished.  Now for the more important question... "Why does this matter?"

When I build a mock draft, I examine both a team's needs, and the talent of the players available.  This is how I come to the proverbial "buying decision".  Looking at Dallas, I see this team with three primary needs; D-Tackle, O-Tackle, and Wide Receiver.  Prior to the release of Adams, I felt the biggest need for the team was at D-Tackle.  For the Boys to return to NFC supremacy, this team needs to be able to stop teams from running on them.

   However, after the release of Adams, I now see the need at O-Line to be most significant.  Sure, Adams was no longer the player he once was, but I still thought him to be serviceable.   Now with him gone, they really have no one, and this must be fixed for Tony Romo to remain upright long enough to find Miles Austin, Jason Witten, and whomever they bring in as a #2 wideout.

   As for draft implications, this change results in some movement in both the late first, and throughout the second round.  As you will see in my next mock, Brian Price is no longer the projection for the Cowboys late in round one.  Now instead I project them choosing a lineman with that selection.  Which one you ask?  Well you are going to have to wait for the release of the next mock to find out.  Of course, Price falling leads to some other DTs falling too, and ultimately guys like Alabama's Terrance Cody, Texas' Lamarr Houston, and Syracuse's Arthur Jones, all pay the price.

   A second roster move that will have implications is the Lion's trading for Rob Sims.  Now before you all start in on how "average" Rob Sims is, understand that I agree with you.  Sims is a very average lineman.  Having said that, he is no doubt worth the 5th round selection the Lions gave up to acquire him, and despite his so-so skill set, he will still improve the Lions front.  Because of this acquisition, Detroit is now in position in the second round to choose the top corner on the board, rather than have to go for a lineman with this selection.  Considering the high quality corners that should still be available, this is good news for fans of the Motor City. 

   In terms of draft implications, this adjustment is important.  First off, it will make room in round two for some very talented corners who may have otherwise fell (read Parrish Cox & Donnovan Warren).  It is also fortuitous for the Lions in another manner.  In previous mocks, I had the Lions being able to grab Florida product, Maurkice Pouncey with their second round pick.  This would have been a steal because Pouncy has a mid-low first round grade in my book, and really has the potential to be a 10 year starter at center for the team lucky enough to acquire him.  As a result of a key change in the top 10 in my upcoming mock, their has been some juggling around of players, and as a result Pouncey will no longer be available to the Lions early in round 2.   Without Sims, this could have left the Lions to reach for a different lineman with this pick, but now they can get real value with this selection.

   We are getting very close to the 2010 draft, and all trades and FA acquisitions have the potential to shake up the draft board of teams around the league.  Stay tuned for my second-to-last mock draft of the season, coming early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment