Monday, June 18, 2012

2013 Outlook - Iowa






Two years ago Iowa was my “Sneaky” pick of the year.  I had expected with the talent they boasted a real chance for them to squeeze into the national title picture, unexpectedly.  Unfortunately, Iowa proved me wrong, and have been on a bit of a backslide since.  Can they turn things around this year?

SR QB James Vandenberg has everything that it takes to be one of the top QBs in the conference this year.  He has had time to learn the offense, and this year will be his second as a starter.  I think he could put up some impressive numbers, but I am not certain that they will translate into wins.  The running game has again been depleted by transfers, and it looks like one of two true FR will be getting the primary running duties.  That alone, isn’t the issue though.  There are no standout WRs for Vandenberg to count on, although I do like his 6’7” TE, JR CJ Fiedorowicz.  Also, typically a strength, I am a bit concerned about the boys on the line.  Losing OT Riley Reiff will no doubt hurt this unit, and I simply don’t see anyone ready to step up and replace him.  Coach Ferentz regularly produced quality o-linemen though, so maybe there is someone who with the right mentoring can surprise me.

Just like the offense, the defense seems to have one good leader, and then a whole bunch of question marks.  Over the past few seasons, the Hawkeyes have produced a handful of quality NFL d-line prospects.  Unfortunately this has left the cupboard bare, as the younger guys have not developed into adequate replacements.  This year the defensive front will have three underclassmen starters, and that could be an issue.  At MLB, JR James Morris is a big time play maker.  He will continue to improve as the year progresses, and that will be good for Iowa.  Unfortunately, the secondary is not so blessed as to have a top notch leader like Morris.  These guys are all serviceable, but no one stands out from the pack.


I will not be calling Iowa my Sneaky pick this year.  I think they have some bright spots, but I am not expecting a big push for the Big 10 title this year from this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment