Tuesday, June 19, 2012

2013 Outlook - Northwestern




For each of the last two year, I have looked at Northwestern, and been teased into thinking they were about to take a major step forward.  For each of the last two years, I have watched with disaapointment, as they have not seemed to take those steps.  Will this year be any different?

Dan Persa had been the primary reason to be excited about this team in years past.  He was the most accurate passer in Big 10 history, and he could run with the ball too, but now he is gone.  He is being replace by former WR Kain Colter.  The JR will step in as the full time QB after occupying the spot part time in Persa's absence last year.  He is a good athlete, but his passing skills still need to develop.  The rest of the offense leaves something to be desired.  I am not sold on JR Mike Trumpy as a primary ball carrier, and I am not sure if there are any receivers whom Colter can rely on.  The brightest spot is SO C, Brandon Vitabile, who shows some real promise in the position.

Defensively, the Wildcats look like they do on offense.  They have some decent guys, but no one who gets me real excited.  JR DE, Tyler Scott returns from injury and will try an provide a pass rushing presence off the edge, but I am not sold on him yet.  The linebackers are all adequate, but they lack a true standout who can strike fear into their opponents.  Even worse yet is the Wildcats' secondary.  1 FR, 2 SO, and 1 SR will start for this unit.  Not only do they lack experience, but none of these guys seem to have an overly impressive skill set either.  Maybe the defense surprises me, and someone steps up to be "the man", but right now, I don't see it.

After a couple of promising, yet disappointing seasons, I have lowered my expectations for Northwestern.  Maybe now with little expected, they will prove to not disappoint at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment