Friday, April 27, 2012

2012 Round 2 Recap





Each year round 2 of the draft is my favorite round. You really get to see how teams think. There are guys who fall out of the first round who are clamored for in the second, and that is very exciting to me. Rather than review all of the picks, I am going to review the selections I really like, and those that I didn't.

Likes
Courtney Upshaw - Baltimore Ravens
   Upshaw was the top talent still on the board after the first round ended.  He is a solid linebacker, and I love how the Ravens identified him as such, and went up to go get him.  Now he will be surrounded by mentors like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, and Terrell Suggs.  Another great pick by Ozzie Newsome.

Andre Branch - Jacksonville Jaguars
   The Jags need to get after the passer better, and after trading up for Blackmon in the first, they grab another value pick in the second.  Branch has the talent to have gone 10-12 picks higher. he can get pressure off the edge.  If he develops some consistency, this could be a great pick.

Janoris Jenkins - St Louis Rams
   Sure, this kid has some behavioral issues, but he may be the most talented corner in this draft.  If he can get his act together, and that is an if, this pick the Rams landed in the RG3 deal may be the steal of the draft. He is fast, can cover, and tackles very well.

Cordy Glenn - Buffalo Bills
   Another guy who should have gone off the board last night.  The Bills need to provide better protection up front, and Glenn's flexibility will allow them to plug him in almost any o-line position and they will get better.

Johnathan Martin - Miami Dolphins
   An absolute steal in the second round, Martin plugs in as an immediate starter on the right side of the Dolphin's line.  I had him projected to go to the Jets in the middle of the first because he has the technique and the experience you need to be successful.

Alshon Jeffery - Chicago Bears
   As regular readers know, I have been high on Jeffery for 2 years now.  I think he is simply a great football player.  The Bears needed bigger guys to work opposite their speed demons.  They added Marshall via trade, and now Jeffery in the draft.  Great work Chicago.

Zach Brown - Tennessee Titans
   Zach Brown is a rare athlete who although raw, I expect will develop into a stud in the NFL.  Tennessee needs speedy defenders, and Brown is exactly that.  With his athleticism, I expect someone to leap on him late in the first.  To land him at 52 is great.

Peter Konz - Atlanta Falcons
   All through Mock Draft season, I pegged Konz to go to the Ravens at the bottom of the first.  1 full round later, he lands on a team who really needs him.  Wisconsin linemen are gold in the NFL, and I am quite surprised that Konz was still available this late.

Lavonte David - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
   The Bucs are having a very good draft.  I had tagged this team to land David early in the second.  Then they traded back up into the first, and gave up their early two.  So for them to trade back into the back of the second and still get David is great work by Mark Dominik.  I love what David brings, and I see him as a Derrick brooks type.  Perfect for the Tampa system.  The fans will love this guy.

Ruben Randle - New York Giants
   Mario Manningham skipped town after the Giants Super Bowl win.  To add a guy like Ruben Randle to replace him is a great decision.  Randle should have gone much higher in the second, so not only do the Giants get a great player who runs great routes and is athletic, but they get value in the selection too.


Dislikes
Derek Wolfe - Denver Broncos
   I know Mel Kiper is high on this guy, but I am not.  I agreed the Broncos needed help up front but I had plenty of DTs rated higher than him who were still available including Jerel Worthy, Devon Still, Kendall Reyes, and Brandon Thompson.  I graded Wolfe as a 4th round selection.  Not a high 2.

Mitchell Schwartz - Cleveland Browns
   My biggest knock against this pick is the talent the Browns left on the board to take Schwartz.  With Cordy Glenn, Jonathan Martin, Bobbie Massie, Zebrie Sanders, and Andrew Datko all still available, I think any of those guys would have been better value.

Tavon Wilson - New England Patriots
   Do the Pats need help in the secondary.  Yes.  But Tavon Wilson had a 5th round grade on my board.  I just don't see what makes this kid special.  After Barron, and then Smith, the safeties in this class are weak.  I think a guy like CB Josh Robinson, or CB Trumaine Johnson would have been much better selections.  I simply think this is New England believing their own hype.

Isaih Pead - St Louis Rams
   The Rams need another back to spell Steven Jackson, but Pead was not the best guy for the job.  Lamar Miller, LaMichael James, Ronnie Hillman, and Robert Turbin all graded out higher than Pead on my board, so I simply don't get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment