Friday, April 27, 2012

2012 Round 3 Recap





As I look over what transpired in the third round, I am more surprised by the guys who are still available as the round comes to a close than I am about the guys who were taken.

Some of the finds I liked the best included Trumaine Johnson to St Louis, Mohamed Sanu to Cincinnati, TY Hilton to the Colts, Brandon Thompson to Cincinnati, and Jayron Hosley to the Giants.  Each of those teams got excellent value by landing these player in the third round.

Some of the picks that left me befuddled included the Jags picking a punter in the third, Josh Leribeus to Washington, Brandon Hardin to Chicago, Bernard Pierce to Baltimore, and Lamar Holmes to Atlanta.  Each of those guys were reaches according to my board.  I had none of those guys rated higher than 5th round grades, so to see them taken in the third is surprising to me.

But as I started with, it is the guys still on the board that surprises me the most.

  • Bobbie Massie earned a 2nd round grade on my board, and for him to be available is stunning.  
  • Lamar Miller was a guy who at times projected as a late first rounder, but finally settled in with a solid second round grade is still available.  
  • I am surprised that former Hurricane OL, Brandon Washington has not been picked yet.  
  • DEs Jared Crick and Billy Winn are both still available.  
  • No one has taken LB Ronnell Lewis, who had a second round grade.  
  • Cs David Molk from Michigan, Phillip Blake from Baylor, and Mike Brewster from Ohio State can all be had on the draft's third day.
  • Antonio Allen, the safety from South Carolina, and Markelle Martin, the safety from OK St are both still available.
  • Former Georgia Bulldog, Orson Charles has yet to hear his name called.

Clearly there are values to be had when the fourth round kicks off tomorrow.  Teams picking early really still have an opportunity to add players who can be have an impact during their rookie season.  Very exciting indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment