Thursday, April 25, 2013

2013 NFL Draft Final Thoughts

So welcome everyone to the 2013 NFL Draft.  Its about time.  Before KC gets things going, I want to share some final thoughts I some of the things I am hearing.

1. Tavon Austin - I continue to hear that Tavon Austin is a sure fire top 10 pick.  I understand he is an electrifying player, but I am concerned about Tavon in the top 10.  He is very small.  He actually makes Percy Harvin look big.  Also, despite his big play ability, I am a bit concerned about his productivity and intelligence.  From a productivity perspective, Austin was outperformed by teammate Bailey while at West Virginia.  Bailey is a 3rd - 4th round prospect.  Simply put, I don't expect Austin to be a big enough presence to justify him in the top 10.

2. Joeckel v Fisher - It has been reported that KC is now leaning towards Fisher over Joeckel.  If the Chiefs are going to deal Braden Albert, I think Joeckel is the better pick.  If they are going to keep him, Fisher should be picked.  Fisher can play on both the left and right.  Joeckel is really better suited for the left.  Joeckel is the safer pick.  Fisher has better upside.  When it is all said and done, I expect both players to be exceptionally successful, so KC should be fine either way.

3. QB Class - I know that there will be a QB or two taken in the first round.  I still wouldn't do it if I were a GM.  Geno Smith is the best of this class in my opinion.  Top pick in round 2 is where I have him slotted.  He will go earlier.  After Smith, I have Barkley and Wilson.  Both of these guys have some upside, but both have limitations too.  Barkley is smarter, but Wilson has better physical tools.  After these guys there are some intriguing guys (Glennon, Scott, Dysert) and some scary prospects (Manuel, Nassib).  Many have Nassib high on the board.  I just don't see it.  I know he plays with great energy, but he is not a winner.  He is not a careful QB.  He does have a live arm, but his accuracy is somewhat erratic.  I think he will be a career backup... at best.

4. Injuries - Of all of the drafts I've studied, this class has more injury concerns than any.  Having said that, there is a lot of starting caliber talent available starting tonight.  I think teams need to step away from some of these injury concerns, and just draft football players.  Very few, if any of these guys will emerge as stars, but getting long lasting contributors who can start games for your franchise is what will make teams successful.  This is where that begins.

We are now 5 minutes away, so it is time to get going.  This should be the most entertaining draft in years, and it is now upon us.  So without any further discussion... Kansas City is on the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment