Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mailbag 3-3-12

So with today's addition of the mailbag, I have decided to do something a little different.  Rather than post the insightful questions which really deserve an answer, I've decided to share some of my more critical readers emails.  It amazes me how much anger a small blog like this can generate from folks.  I'll do my best to post the emails as they came in as to not hide anything.  OK, so here we go...


EZ,
    What is with all of the hate you clearly have for the Jets?  What are you, from Boston or something?  The Jets are the best team ever, and they are the best in the league right now.  Somebody auta teach you a thing or two about football.  You should show some respect and get off the Patriots waggon.  


Stu M - Port Jefferson, New York


Dear Delusional on the North Shore (a.k.a Stu from Port Jeff),
    First off, I am not from Boston, I was born and raised in New York.  Second, what is a "waggon"?  I am assuming that you meant "wagon", as in "bandwagon" but it is hard to tell. Third, "auta"?  Really Stu?

   Stu, I don't hate the Jets.  All fans accuse me of hating their team if I post even one criticism.  The Jets are a talented team, but I think their front office/coaching staff is a bit dysfunctional.  Winning football games in the NFL is not just about fielding the team with the most talented players.  It is about taking player's talents and merging them in a way that creates an effective team.  Once the Jets figure that out, they may ascend to great heights and become "best in the league".  Until then, they won't even earn the title "best in their city".



Stupid EZ,
    From reading this cr@p you call a blog one thing has become clear.  You know nothing about football or quarterback play.  You have never once pegged a future good quarterback, and you always say that someone will be a bust when they won't.  You called my man Josh Freeman stupid, but he is a great QB for my Bucs. There is not another young QB anyone would rather have than Freeman, so you were just wrong.  How does it feel to be so wrong, stupid?  You should quit your day job.


Alan R - Tampa, Florida


Dear Confused about Cliches (also known as Alan from Tampa),
     First, I think it is important that you recognize that all analysts get it wrong about players from time to time.  So do scouts and GMs (how else can you explain Tom Brady being available in the 6th round).  In fact, even the ones who do this for a living get quite a few projections wrong.  Considering I don't do this professionally, I am flattered to be in such great company.

   As for your guy Freeman, I have indeed said that I don't believe he is smart enough to run a successful pro offense.  After his rookie season, it was looking like I was wrong. If you didn't see him seriously regress last year however, you either didn't watch the Bucs play, or you don't know what regress means.  Teams who start outstanding QBs don't usually wind up picking 5th overall and have their whole coaching staff fired.  It is still too early to make a definitive call as to how good, or bad Freeman will be.

   As for my never picking good QBs, I have called a few right.  In 2005 I called for the 49ers to pick Aaron Rodgers with the first pick, and they chose Alex Smith.  In 2007, I warned against picking Jamarcus Russell first overall, and look what happened.  I have missed a few too, and some of my more recent criticisms of guys like Freeman, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton may turn out to be wrong, but it is still to early to tell.



Dear Dum EZ
     You are dum and you know nothing about football.  We know this because your nothingness shows every time you open your mouth.  You are dum and know nothing about nothing.  You always rip on the Dolphins, and that is unfair.  They are a very good football team who had some tough breaks.  Matt Moore is the clear QB of the future, and you need to stop bashing the Phins.  Clearly you hate them, and that means you hate Mimi, so you'd better not let me see you there or I'll lick your dum face in.


Carlos G - Royal Palm Beach, Florida


Dear Desperately in Need of a Proofreader (also known as Carlos from Royal Palm Beach),
   Oh wow, where do I start?  How about with your mastery of the language.  You see after the first "dum", I thought you may have had some sort of typo or autocorrect issue, but after you hit me with it twice more, I thought I'd do you the favor of introducing you to the concept of silent letters.  There is a "b" at the end of that word my friend, you just can't hear it.  Also, I urge you to purchase both a dictionary and a thesaurus as soon as possible.  I am not sure you even know what you meant by some of those sentences.

   Now onto the Dolphins.  I don't hate the Dolphins, but as with other teams I try to examine things with a critical eye.  I feel your pain Carlos.  Any QB in Miami since Marino who doesn't completely suck, is now touted as the QB of the Future.  Having said that, Moore doesn't totally suck, but he is not the future either.  There are some quality options for the Dolphins to look at this offseason, including some exciting guys in the draft.  If Steven Ross lets his football people do football, they may even land one.


   In closing Carlos, I have a few parting questions.  First, who is Mimi, and why do you think I hate her? And finally, although I typically don't like being threatened, I really do hope you meant "kick your face in".  If your plan, Fido, is to "lick my face in" all I can say is "ewww". Seeing however that you are in Royal Palm Beach which is at least an hour and a half north of Miami, I guess I don't have too much to worry about.


EZ,
   What did the Chargers ever do to you?  Did you loose money on them or something.  You are so harsh on them and yet you give all this praise to the damn Raiders.  The Raiders suck, and so do you.  Rivers is better than Palmer, and Gates is better than everyone on their whole team.  I can't wait until we roll south and pound them in their own house.  Now get off the Raider's jocks, and appreciate the greatness that is San Diego football.


Mark W - San Diego, California


Dear Desperately in Need of a GPS, or a Map, or a Compass (a.k.a Mark from San Diego),
     Riddle me this my friend.  How do the Chargers travel south bound to arrive in Oakland which a 491 miles north up I5?  I think you have been spending too much time out in the California sunshine Mark.
      Seriously though, I don't love the Raiders, and I don't hate the Chargers.  I simply call them as I see them.  I agree with you that Rivers > Palmer, but Oakland's running game > San Diego's running game.  Moreover, this is not about the Chargers vs the Raiders.  The Chargers have been too talented for too long to have gone nowhere.  All I said was that I think it may be time for a change at the top.  Turner is a good coach, and Smith has a good eye for talent, but they have yet to get anywhere with that.  The Spanos family decided to give these guys one more chance, but I have a hard time imagining that the result will change.
     As for Oakland, I hardly think I am a armor wearing member of the black hole.  All I said was that the hiring of Reggie McKenzie was a very smart move.  If he is the guy that many think he is, the Raiders could be a team on the rebound very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment